Bigfoot sightings from Washtenaw county Michigan


Washtenaw Co 1957  –  Sightings by 4 People

Date Received:  02 Dec 2003           From: R W

According to my old co-worker Charlie, there were a few sightings of a Bigfoot creature on M-17 [Washtenaw Ave] and Golfside Roads in 1957. [This intersection is about 1 mile east of US 23 in SW Washtenaw Co.]  … apparently a friend of Charlie’s saw the creatures, as did two people who were Native Americans. The latter of the two knew the creature from stories from their ancestors and were not afraid to go hunting in the woods.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 1958  –  Bigfoot Walks on Top of Truck in Augusta Township

Date Received: 16 Oct 2004  From: R W

A lady I used to work with named T B, told me about her mother’s experience with a bigfoot creature off Judd Road, near Whittaker Road in 1958, in Augusta Township [SE corner of Washtenaw Co]. This was on her grandmother’s farm. On the farm, there was an area where the land has a short gully and one day Tracy’s mother and grandmother were [there] in a pickup truck having lunch.  They were parked in this rut or culvert area with sort of a brim on either side.

They had finished eating in the early afternoon at around 13:30 hours when out of nowhere something very large and heavy, a large hairy ape that was close to eight feet tall, stepped off the brim [top of the gully] onto the top of their pickup truck and walked down the hood, stepping down onto the ground, and heading off towards the woods on the back part of the property. Apparently the bigfoot was walking very fast and stepped onto their truck and then walked down in front of it and then walked away looking back at the two ladies.

They thought at first this was a large brown bear, but it walked upright like a man down the culvert, away from the truck, turning into the woods 30-45 seconds later and then walked out of sight. As the creature walked off on two legs, it turned its upper torso back towards the truck and then headed into the woods.  This gave them a look at its face, and they both said the creature walked like a man but was slightly hunched over.  They said the face was flat, but looked rather “negroid” in appearance.

Moreover, it let out a loud yell that scared them both, and made them drive like a bat out of hell to get away from the area, in case it came back again. Also, from what I gather, the creature did put a dent in the hood, so this gives you an idea of how heavy it must have been.  After that day, when they would hear screams in the woods, they knew what it was.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co Summer1974  –  Suspected Bigfoot Encounter Near Ypsilant

From: R W

When I was nine years old I used to live about a mile away [west] from there [1957 Washtenaw Co report] on Packard east of Carpenter. Very often my family and I, including our German Shepherd would take a walk into the large wooded area south of Packard Road. In the middle of the woods there was an entrance into the forest that was hard to find if you walked by it, but inside was an interesting area that had wood set up like an airplane or a marker. The inside had grass in a dome shape much like the photo at The area inside here smelled like a wet dog and had food cans and other items, which lead my father to believe that teenagers were using the area for parties at night.

One day during the late summer of 1974. My mother, father, our German Shepherd, and I, went for a walk down the trail that day, which was cloudy and in the upper 70s. Moreover, as we got closer down the path our dog was not his usual outgoing self, acting like something was bothering him. The closer we got to the area where the fort, as I liked to call it, was located at, the more nervous our dog became. Likewise, I had the feeling I was being watched and my father had sort of an uneasy feeling also, and he was a man who served with General Patton during World War II, who wasn’t afraid of anything.

However, there were sounds of branches snapping every 30 seconds, like something was watching, moving carefully trying to watch us, which made my father feel very uneasy. Moreover, our dog had his tail between his legs and was staying really close to my father. Then came a loud crack, like a limb about 6-8 inches in diameter, was either stepped on or broken. This was followed by a slightly less loud one and all of use thought that it must have been a deer in the woods and my father decided it was best to leave the area. Interestingly, as we walked back the way we came, the snapping of the branches seemed to indicate that whatever it was in the woods was following us.

Then we got out of the wooded area and our dog became less timid and kept looking back at the woods, until we crossed over the old railroad bed. I don’t know if it was a Bigfoot stalking us in the woods, but years later when reading about all the sightings, this had some very similar characteristics.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 1981 –  Juvenile and Adult Bigfoot Seen by Children Near Dexter

Date Received: 24 Nov 2003  From: R W

This sighting took place around 1980 through 1982 north of Dexter. My old friend Chad  was telling me that when he was around six years old, he and other friends would go out and play in an undeveloped field with forest around them. Sort of an area with sand dunes, but this area has since been built over with houses. Apparently, there was a juvenile bigfoot that was around 5’6″ tall and would watch the kids playing. One time they would motion for the bigfoot to come and it would motion back with its arm for them to come, but they were too scared to do so. They saw this creature a number of times along with a full grown adult bigfoot. On more than one occasion, the smaller bigfoot would wave back to the kids, standing at the edge of the forest.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co Late 1980’s  –  White Bigfoot Chases Truck Near Ypsilanti

Date Received:  28 Nov 2001 From: R W

In the late 1980’s, two people I talked with claim that while driving eastbound on Geddes Road, east of Harris Road [east of Ann Arbor], that they were paced by a white humanoid creature, that resembled a large man covered with fur. They were chased by an all white ape-like creature that was running on two legs down Geddes Road, that was keeping pace with their pickup truck at 64-80 km/hr  [39-48 mph]. This location would have been just west of the dark brown bigfoot creature that my Mom and I saw while driving down Geddes west of Ridge Roads last August [of 2000].

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co. 1995 – 2000  –  Experiences with Suspected Bigfoot Near Willis

Date Received: 12 Oct 2004 From: Scott I

After writing to you, we have been uncomfortably reminded of the situation at XXX Church Street [where Scott and family used to live, near the town of Willis in the SE corner of the county]. My oldest, Scott Jr., who still lives in the area and he has heard of other stories from friends in the area and he says he does not walk around the dirt roads after dark anymore. Before the scream incident, they would walk anywhere at any time all around those unlit dirt roads.

[Writing about] This has been very comforting for us because sometimes we don’t know if we’re letting our imaginations run away with us or if the stuff we experienced really happened. I especially feel badly about my sons being afraid of walking anywhere in the dark or being afraid of leaving a bedroom window open on a cool summer night. I want them to recall their childhoods as a great time. They still feel the negative emotions to this day.

Okay, a list of instances-

The summer of 1995 – one morning I found our large garbage can (the kind supplied by a company to be emptied by a truck with a robot arm-a small dumpster) emptied (not ripped and scattered around) and certain bags opened and contents removed. The can was resting upside down against the fence next to the garage. Our dog, a wonderful Shetland Sheepdog named Sonya, was barking like crazy around midnight or 1:00 AM.

The spring of 1996 – we just moved to Willis the previous fall. There was a crop of something (it wasn’t corn, but was something edible) in the field adjacent to our property. The oldest and youngest apparently saw glowing eyes along the trees in the gully along the property line on the east side of the house. They were about three quarters of the way down towards the back fence. They said they were too far apart and too high off the ground to be a cat or other small animal. Also, they were well behind the fence. (I occasionally saw cats sitting on our fence and their eyes reflected the flashlight.) This happened late at night multiple times for about a week. Again, our dog was freaking out.

Occasionally, during our years there, on many occasions, my ex-wife mentioned that she felt she was being watched while getting out of the car after work. Her schedule was 3:00 PM to 9:00 or 10:00 PM and she would mention this when she had groceries to get out of the trunk. These complaints prompted us to always leave a car space open next to the house. I parked on the gully side of the driveway. This didn’t stop her sensations, but she did have the comfort of my car between her and the woods. This was very important to her. She NEVER parked next to the gully and the woods at the edge of the field on that east side of the house. Her complaints were always in warm weather.

Around June of 1997 – I went out shopping for food around midnight one Wednesday around 12:30 AM at the Belleville Meijer and I got home around 1:45 AM. While removing the bags from the trunk while being parked against the bushes on the edge of the gully and field, I heard the strangest “jabbering” sound probably less than fifty or sixty feet into the corn stalks.  I’d seen lots of raccoons and opossums and other wildlife and I immediately wrote it off to one of those animals. In retrospect, it sounded as if it came from a larger animal than a raccoon.  It sounded like some kind of medium high pitched mumbling. I’ve scoured all the sites that have sounds and there is one sound at the “Sierra Sounds” site that is supposed to be two creatures excitedly reacting to food and it sounded sort of like the part that went “wabba wabble” real fast, but the pitch of the sound I heard was much higher.

During the summer of 1999 or 2000 – The fence around the yard was slowly being blown down by the beginning of spring-end of summer storms. The area most affected was the east fence (I have no idea why-you would think the whole fence would be prone to damage?), along the strip of land that was behind the driveway, right behind the garage. Every so often, I asked the boys to gather up the boards that recently fell down and stack them next to the fence posts and I would spend an occasional Saturday rehanging them. On more than one occasion, I found them thrown in the gully or re-stacked on the other side of the fence. Once, I found them in the gully about two thirds of the way down the yard, close to the park behind the yard. I thought the boys were trying to build a fort out of them and I gave them hell for moving them and snapping a few into pieces, but they swore they never touched them.

The summer of 2000 – The first summer Saturday night my boys had the “burn the schoolbooks” bonfire party which is the night of the screams. Whenever they get together and talk about it, the fear is all over them. They always mention how the tree overhead (the big tree in the middle of the back yard – you can still see the fire pit) shook from the volume of the sounds. The panic on Bob’s face the following Tuesday night when he heard it again in the side field really upset me. I never want my sons to feel like that around their own home.

Our little dog barked at anything all the time. But there were other times, usually after 1:00 AM that Sonya would bark like crazy in the kitchen, looking either towards the back door or the side of the house where the cars were parked. When this happened I would grab my shotgun and cop flashlight (Streamlight Stinger – very bright) and run outside and look around the garage and cars and the edge of the field across the gully, but I never saw anything. I would always praise my little dog because she warned me of trespassers so well, but it really got old running outside to look around.

My oldest son, while hanging around with the kids in the gang, heard stories of the kids sleeping out in the woods behind the house or in the middle of the field east of our driveway in an area that was like a little island of trees and grass just big enough for two or three tents, and apparently climbing up trees and waiting for the Bigfoot family to stroll through the paths in the woods late at night. I don’t know if they ever saw anything. Apparently, at first, it was considered a game, but something happened to put a quick and final end to this. I don’t know what happened though, but I know it was abrupt.

Also, there were stories of a farm family having something scaring ladies right on their own property.

One of the things that has stuck in my mind has to do with my little dog, Sonya. She was a sweetie and when we first got her.  Because of her natural boisterousness, we had to tie her up when she went outside. There were times too numerous to count that she would run to the end of her rope towards the back (pointing towards the woods), bark like hell, then turn around and freak out barking and clawing to come in. Not just her normal, Shetland nervous stuff, but true panic. Many times I grabbed the shotgun and light and went looking around, but I never noticed anything unusual. Towards the end of my years there, because of all of the experiences we had there, I got in the habit of grabbing that powerful light and scanning the yard just to look around, but I never saw anything the least bit unusual.

Another tidbit that struck me at the time – the fear of being outside that the remnants of my family felt while they still lived there after I moved away. All of them, Scotty, the oldest, Russell, the youngest, and even the ex [wife] were uncomfortable without me around acting fearless if the dog freaked out or whatever.

You know, if I take all of this, and I’m sure I’m leaving stuff out, and reexamine it, it doesn’t add up to much of anything except for those screams. I don’t know exactly what went on while we were there, but I’m pretty sure something was coming through our area at certain times of the year when there was food available and a few members of my family, especially my boys and our dog, were very aware of those times..

14 Sep 2006 From: Scott  I

It is interesting to note two things that stick out in my mind: (1) my ex-wife would not go out after dark unless I was with her. She parked her car next to the house, while my car went near the gully side. (2) My little one for some reason, who was really small then, still doesn’t like windows uncovered and we live near houses on both sides of us. He recently made me cover the windows here with paper or curtains or blinds so he can walk in the kitchen. My middle boy, the one we lost, spoke frequently of hearing heavy running footsteps late at night, that shook him awake on the second floor.

I used to walk the property at night armed to the teeth and never saw or felt much of anything. But the garbage was moved around and stacked, the big log was moved, I heard mumbling or what I called at the time”jabbering”. Our dog would freak out occasionally. The boys also told me, one weekend when a bunch of school friends stayed over, that they saw red “lights” that looked like eyes out in the back yard, not far from the big tree out back, which is really close to the glass door to the deck. I told them it had to be fireflies.

I wish I heard those screams so I would be able to convince myself something really happened there. Actually, my whole family was affected. After my wife and I split up and Bob and I moved away, the [other remaining] boys told me things got lots weirder – lots of hair on necks standing up – lots of noises in the bushes along the gully on the east side of the property. And the ex left the boys home a lot while she tried to replace me.  Also, the fence boards on the east side of the property [which] were stacked up by the boys and I, and we always found them rearranged or, a few times, thrown around, some as far away as 50 feet. I just don’t understand. How? Why? And, boy, do they remember the creepy feelings they experienced. Yes, you tell me, are we nuts?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 05 Sep 2001

Sighting, Tracks, and Vocalizations

From: M A

This time we heard whistling and like something was chatting with one another in that animal way. It almost felt like it was happy to see us. We also found foot prints that were 13″ front of big toe to heel and it was 7″ across. We could not get the length of its gait. I think that he is still there. Lot of deer tracks. My friend seen a white BF jump right into the woods. I think there is a family there. We also seen small prints too. I did not have the courage to go see what it was that was making noise. It was mixed with whistle and moans and growls. It almost seemed that it was following us on a ridge above us, smart BF. We did not get a scent.

I think he is waiting for the corn to get ripe. It was great, but I did not want to meet up with a youngster for fear of mom showing up and protecting its kid. Also we did see some eyes with the flashlight. They were like a red-orange color on the outside and a big pupil, black.  I kept on spotting it with the flashlight and it moved away. The sound sounded like chimps or some type of a monkey.

I am going to study up on primates and their behavior. I will be going to the library and get as much info I can on primates. I think we can get him or her to get in close with enticing them with fruit. I just need to be brave if he comes up close. Well this is all I got. Also, did see a tree that was broken over on the trail, the tree was about two to three inches wide, it was cracked over the trail.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 2001

Two Bags of Fish Taken from High Above Ground

Date Received:  28 Nov 2001
From: R W
I asked a friend of mine who is a deputy sheriff if he has heard of anything unusual happening and he said no. However, his friend did tell of story where a guy had come back from a three day fishing trip on Lake Eire catching Walleye, and he decided to put them in two large bags. He used a ladder to put them up in back of his barn roughly 4 meters off the ground and went inside to clean up. The man came out 30 minutes later and both bags of fish were gone! He thought that someone might have used the ladder to get them down, but it was locked in the barn. Whatever it was had to reach up and yank them down and carry the bags weighing about 40 pounds each into the woods. Since there were no suspects the police could not do anything about it. He did mention that he felt like he was being watched the whole time. This was someplace out in the Cherry Hill and Stommel roads area.

I think they are more intelligent than we give them credit for. I believe that Bigfoot should not be hunted down like some sort of animal as it’s not dangerous. You would have a lot of people up in arms if they were attacking humans, but they are not. In most cases they exhibit very shy behavior and are quite timid.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co, 30 May 2002

Broken Branches and Odd Moaning Noises Near Chelsea

From: B M

Wednesday morning I was letting the dogs out about 7am and there was a strange deep moaning coming from the woods behind the house. It honestly sounded like a cow (Uggggghhhhh…….Ugggggghhhhhh) but there are no cows back there and it definitely was not a Moooooing sound. Maybe an elk? [Editor’s note:  Nearest known elk would be at least 150 miles north of this location]  Not sure what they sound like. In any event…it was very loud even though it sounded 100 yards away.

To add to the strangeness….last night around 8-ish I was out in the back again and one of my cherry trees has two freshly broken limbs about 20 feet up. The leaves are still green and growing but the branches are broken back against the trunk of the tree. Most strange. Makes me wonder what was up there to break them off. They re about 1.5 – 2 inch diameter limbs so I can’t blame the coons on this one.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co, July 2003

Upright Walking Bear Reported

Date Received:  05 Feb 2004
From: R W

Back around early July, 2003, there was a report received into the Sheriff’s Dept, about bear that was seen walking upright across a road through a yard just before sunrise, in the area of Begole and Warner Roads in York Township. The patrol car checked the area 45 minutes later and found no trace of it. I wonder if that might be the same creature?

[This is in the SW corner of the county between Milan and Slaine]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw County,  22 Nov 2003

Odor, Screams, Tree Knocking and “Large Hairy Object” Reported

From: R W

Apparently, bigfoot must be on the loose up in Northfield and Salem Townships here in Washtenaw County. Over the summer there were two reports that lend themselves to possible activity in those locations.

The first was back in late August up on Seven Mile Road between Angle and Tower Roads. [Northeast corner of the county]. Residents reported a very bad odor coming from the woods, with loud screams being heard. Also, some resident reported tree knocking in the area at night.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The second one was on North Territorial Road west of Dixboro Road. At around 11:00 p.m. a motorist reported a “large hairy object” laying in the road that she had to swerve in order to miss hitting. When the police got there 10 minutes later nothing was nothing found. [This is location is about 4 miles SW of the one above, and about 6 miles NW of downtown Ann Arbor.]

Strange but interesting!

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Date: 30 Nov 2003

Re: Washtenaw County Bigfoot

Bob Daigle wrote:  ”Did you talk to the person who saw the “large hairy object” in the road?”

R W:  No, this was handled by the police department. They found no animal, but did find some broken headlight glass, like a car did hit the object. The person who reported the incident on the cell phone did describe it as a “large hairy object…had to swerve into the other lane to avoid it.” Since the police did not have a complainant or nobody wanted contact, there was no report made about the incident. Time lapse from the cell phone call to when the officer checked the area was 15 minutes.

Bob Daigle wrote: “It would be interesting to hear all details she could recollect. Possibly someone else had just recently struck a BF with their car, knocking it unconscious, but never reported it.”

R W:  I was thinking the same thing myself, but the police were busy with a domestic assault which takes priority.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co Late Nov 2003  –  Sheriff Investigate Deer Deaths in Superior Township

From: R W

Speaking of deer, the Sheriff’s Department went out to the area around northern Superior Township [just NW of Ann Arbor] last week to investigate a series of deer deaths. Apparently, a farmer found several deer just inside a wooded area neatly lined up. The apparent cause of death is a mystery, since they were not shot or had arrows in them. All did have their backs legs twisted and they were slit open. However, I have no idea as to why or what caused this to happen, but it must have spooked the farmer into thinking something out of the ordinary was going on. Apparently, the Sheriff’s Dept. turned this over to the DNR for investigation. This is the second such incident in the area, the other being two, maybe three months ago in Salem Township.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 13 Sep 2004  –  Midnight Scream

From: D W

Last night (at my house) around midnight (windows open) I heard a scream that sounded much like a BF scream. It was a long high pitched tone that sustained the high pitch with just a slight ramp up and ramp down tone during the beginning and ending of each scream. Also at the end of each scream, there was a ga ga ga ga sound. So it went “<<<<scream>>>> ga ga ga ga <<<<scream>>>> ga ga ga ga <<<<scream>>>> ga ga ga ga <<<<scream>>>> ga ga ga ga. I believe the sound came from the north. It was not real loud, but loud enough for me to get this much detail.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 03 Nov 2004  –  Mutilated Deer Found in Ypsilanti Township

From: R W

Several mutilated deer were found off Tuttle Hill Road, in southern Ypsilanti Twp., north of the community of Willis. The deer were found in the woods and apparently were well concealed. Apparently, who or what put them there did not want them to be found. Apparently, the deer were found to have broken legs and their insides were removed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 20 Nov 2004  –  Ape-Like Creature Seen Crossing Trail; Gray Female Observed

From: R W

While listening to the [police band] radio today, the DNR received a report from two people inside the Waterloo State Recreation area of large 7′ tall, ape-like creature with dark brown fur crossing a trail near Cassidy Lake. The creature was carrying a freshly killed deer under it’s arm according to the two eyewitnesses who saw it cross 25 feet in front of them and apparently they wasted NO time in leaving the area in fear.

From what I remember, they were close to or within 1.5 miles of Cassidy Lake, “on a trail that has a bend on it.” I  suspect that they were near or closer to Green Lake in the south side of that area.

Interestingly, one of the DNR officers mentioned that he was wondering if it was the same creature that he spotted last month on the west side of  Welch Lake Rd near Seymour Rd [about 7 miles west of  the above sighting, which is 5 miles west into Jackson Co. from the Washtenaw Co. border]. He [the other officer] said no, that creature was dark gray in color and clearly a female with breasts from what he could see through his binoculars, but he was only able to observe it for 45 seconds before it moved back into the woods out of sight. Apparently, they must have had an anti-poaching sting going on, or looking for hunters in an area that is off limits to hunting and the creature was observed very nicely from a distance with high-powered binoculars by the DNR officer.

Moreover, he mentioned that the Sheriff’s Dept., had a report nearby north of Chelsea, where a hunter found a large buck with its head tore (twisted?) off, and it’s insides torn out. The hunter had a very weird feeling that he was being watched and heard some large branches snap, he left the area and called the police.

Both of the DNR officers concluded that it was probably the Sasquatch in the area that was responsible. However, if anyone asks him what is he is doing out in the woods with a camera or collecting any evidence, [one of the DNR officers said he would]  just tell them that he is looking for signs of poachers. One thing the DNR mentioned, was that no hunter in their right mind would have turned down such a prize buck like the one found north of Chelsea, which was easily a 12 pointer. Apparently, the head was ripped off the body and thrown several yards away, and the poor thing looked like it was beat to death, then had it’s insides cut open and emptied out. However, they did not mention anything about the liver being missing.

I really think that the DNR investigates Sasquatch sightings, but they don’t divulge this to the general public. I mean how would it look if the DNR was out in the woods and they were asking the public if they saw Bigfoot walk through the area lately? However, I have heard three DNR officers say they have actually seen one of these creatures while out in the field, and they have no doubt about it being a reality.

After hearing this today, and all the other reports of dead deer found in the woods across northern Washtenaw County, especially from Whitmore Lake west possibly into Jackson County, leads me to believe that there is a family of Bigfoot creatures in that area. Moreover, I think as the deer herds move this time of the year, so do the Bigfoot creatures following them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 08 May 2005  –  Variety of Strange Noises Reported Near Dexter

From: R W

FYI: The Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Dept., received a call in the area to the northwest of Dexter around the north side Island Lake just before 1:00 a.m., reporting strange noises coming from the woods. Upon arrival, deputies are currently hearing a loud screeching, howling sound from two different locations, with one being closer than the other. Moreover, they are hearing an occasional “knocking” sound but can’t pinpoint the source. Likewise, they are convinced that it’s a large animal with a wide vocal range. However, the officers are unable to locate them at this time.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =  = = = = = =  = = =  = = = =  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Washtenaw Co 07 July 2005  –  Sheriff’s Officer Reports Screams Near Huron River Drive

From: B M

I chatted with a Washtenaw county sheriff’s officer near me and he passed this along:

”I did take a run on Huron River Drive near the church in the woods.  A church employee was leaving the church after midnight and heard what she thought was a woman screaming somewhere in the woods. I responded to the area and as I pulled into a gravel two track type road east of the church near the woods I did hear a loud screaming type noise coming from somewhere deep in the woods. I exited the scout car and walked near the woods in order to hear it better and to try to better locate the area of the woods the noise came from. The loud noise.(a screaming type screeching type noise which could be mistaken for a human was heard every minute or so.) After listening to the noise for a minute or so I was under the impression that it was an animal making the noise, what kind I could not begin to guess (possibly big foot I don’t know)

However to make sure I drove my scout car further east and pulled in a driveway and went into the backyards closer to the woods and to the noise. I could still hear the noise and was sure it was some kind of animal. It continued to make the same loud screaming type noise over and over. I went over to four persons in their back yard who was gathered around a campfire and asked them if they knew what the noise was. They stated they did not know but also thought it was an animal of some type, they further stated they heard the same animal making the same type of noise the last year. I called clear of the incident and told dispatch that it was some kind of animal making the noise.”